I had the pleasure of interviewing new author, LaMont Joseph, for our Behind the Book series. LaMont is a Charlotte, NC native and owner of La’Johns Grooming barber shop, as well as C.A.N.S. for Cuts, a nonprofit organization.
His first book, The Amazing Barber Shop (illustrated by Hatice Bayramoglu), celebrates one of the cornerstones in African American culture – the barber shop. I was excited to read this book because I’ve always heard so many funny stories about the barber shop. It’s an experience the majority of African American boys have starting at a very young age. Men are just as serious about their barber as women are about their stylists!
The book is narrated by a young boy who is excited to head to the barber shop for a hair cut. With so much to see and so many jokes to laugh at, the barber shop is a great place to hang out. This book would make the perfect gift for all boys: ones who love going to the barber shop as well as those who may be a little nervous.
I’m so glad we are starting to see more stories written that detail every day, regular occurrences for African American children. I also love all of the positive affirmations on the little boy’s clothing. If you’d like to win your own copy of The Amazing Barber Shop, head over to our Instagram or Facebook pages for more details.
- What inspired you to become an author? The love of telling an enjoyable story out of my experiences as a barber.
- What was your favorite book(s) as a child? Charlotte’s web
- What was the last non-children’s book you read? The Alchemist
- What impact would you like for your books to leave on the children’s literature community? The impact I would like for it to leave is to see children act as leaders and execute positive thinking in achieving extraordinary changes in society for all mankind.
- Tell us a random fact about yourself that we wouldn’t know from your website or social media pages. I enjoy laughing and telling jokes and I truly love being a Father.
Many thanks to LaMont for allowing us to learn a little bit more about him! If you’d like to keep up with his work, please visit his Instagram for updates.