Father’s Day is this weekend and I thought it would be a great idea to share of list of diverse children’s books that celebrate the amazing bond father’s share with their children.
- Baby Dance by Ann Taylor and Marjorie van Heerden (Illustrator)
While mommy sleeps on the couch, daddy entertains the baby with a rhythmic song and dance.
Mom has a work trip and will be gone for an entire week. That means it’s daddy/daughter time!
3. Papa, Do You Love Me? by Barbara M. Joossee and Barbara Lavallee (Illustrator)
A young African boy tests his father’s unconditional love by asking a series of questions such as “How much?”, “How long?”, and “What would you do if I was hot?”
4. Peek-A-Boo at the Zoo by Kimberly Dixon and Claudia Tenorio-Pearl (Illustrator)
Daddy and Baby play peek-a-boo with their favorite animals during their visit to the zoo.
5. A Song So Sweet by Kimberly Dixon and Madalyn McLeod (Illustrator)
Daddy and his toddler spend the day together sharing many sweet moments, along with an even sweeter song.
6. In Daddy’s Arms I Am Tall: African Americans Celebrating Fathers by various poets and Javaka Steptoe (Illustrator)
This is a beautiful collection of poems to celebrate the connection between a father and child from some of our favorite authors, as well as a few who are new to us.
7. Hot, Hot Rodi for Dada-ji by F. Zia and Ken Min (Illustrator)
This is a great introduction to a popular food in Indian culture as a young boy makes roti with his grandfather to help restore his “power”.
8. Grandpa’s Shoes by Greg Burnham and Marcus Williams (Illustrator)
A young girl learns there is much more to her grandpa when he tells her stories of all he accomplished in his many years of life.
9. Rainbow Stew by Cathryn Falwell
Despite it being a rainy day, Grandpa has his grandchildren help pick an assortment of vegetables from the garden for a huge pot of stew.
10. A Morning with Grandpa by Sylvia Liu and Christina Forshay (Illustrator)
This book celebrates the intergenerational bond between a grandpa and granddaughter as they try to teacher each other tai chi and yoga.
11. Thunder Boy Jr. by Sherman Alexie and Yuyi Morales (Illustrator)
This humorous story about a little boy who hates being named after his father is sure to make your chuckle and say aww with its sweet ending.
12. My Daddy and I by Eloise Greenfield and Jan Spivey Gilchrist (Illustrator)
This cute board book features a father and son completing household chores together.
13. Visiting Day by Jacqueline Woodson and James Ransome
This touching books follows a young girl and her grandmother as they prepare for her monthly visit to her father in prison.
14. At the Crossroads by Rachel Isadora
South African children await the time when their fathers appear at the crossroads after working in the mines for ten months.
15. Father’s Day by Anne Rockwell and Lizzy Rockwell (Illustrator)
The children in Mrs. Madoff’s class have to think about special memories of their fathers to create a special Father’s Day book.
Did any of your favorites make this list? If you know of any others that should be added, please leave them in the comments below!