Today we have our first Behind the Book interview with author Niyoka McCoy. Niyoka is a Georgia native and an English teacher by profession. She’s written four books and we were able to review two of them, My Sister Cami and Little Boy Like Me.
Little Boy Like Me is the cutest story celebrating all of things young boys like to do. You are sure to be reminded of the special boy in your life as you read this book.
My Sister Cami is the story of how eight year old Sasha handles the stressors that come along with her younger sister having Tourette’s Syndrome. Once their mom takes them to a facility for young children with the same illness, Sasha begins to appreciate and become more understanding of Cami’s differences. Head over to our social media pages for a closer look at both stories and a chance to win a copy for yourself!
- What inspired you to become an author? I have always been a writer at heart. I enjoy the idea of creating my own world and telling stories that I believe others should hear.
- What was your favorite book(s) as a child? The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- What was the last non-children’s book you read? An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
- What impact would you like for your books to leave on the children’s literature community? My goal is to make a child smile. It is important for children to see themselves in the books that they are reading – a true representation of themselves.
- Tell us a random fact about yourself that we wouldn’t know from your website or social media pages. I am certified to teach Zumba.
Many thanks to Niyoka for allowing us to learn a little bit more about her! If you’d like to keep up with her work, please visit her website or Instagram for updates.
Leave a Reply